Careers at STRIVE
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at STRIVE, a culturally diverse non-profit whose mission is to help people acquire the life-changing skills and attitudes needed to overcome challenging circumstances, find sustained employment, and become valuable contributors to their families, their employers, and their communities.
Job Title: Job Readiness Trainer
Reports To: Director of Training Services
STRIVE is seeking a passionate Job Readiness Trainer to assist the Director of Training with serving individuals between the ages of 18-55 years old. The ideal candidate will be committed to STRIVE’s signature Core Attitudinal and Job Readiness Training. The Core workshop is an intensive four-week “soft skills” training in attitude modification, self presentation, and workplace readiness. This “attitudinal” training is based upon the premise that employers look for people who will fit into the workplace, accept the authority of supervisors, get along with peers, and display an eagerness to learn.
- Assist the Director of Training with facilitating all aspects of STRIVE’s four-week CORE Job Readiness program, which includes motivational sessions, attitudinal training, goal setting; orientation to workplace expectations, conflict resolution, sexual harassment, and communication skills
- Conduct monthly CORE workshop orientations to an average of 50 participants
- Specialize in resume creation, interviewing techniques, facilitation, and classroom management
- Create an interactive training environment, challenge participants to improve their skills and confront their negative attitudes about work, while assisting them to develop self-confidence and self-reliance within a supportive environment
- Identify problem areas/obstacles for each participant, and adjust the training to meet those needs
- Seeks out guest speakers for specific topics
- Create and research training exercises that will enhance the growth and development of the participants
- Read the CORE Trainers Manual in its entirety and create lesson plans for the four-week curriculum
- Ongoing collaboration with other departments for case conferences, feedback, referrals, and continuous support
- Present information using a variety of instructional techniques or formats, such as role playing, simulations, team exercises, group discussions, videos, or lectures
- Organize and obtain training procedure manuals and course materials such as handouts and visual materials to be given to participants
- Create detailed case notes to record student progress throughout the program’s duration
- Maintain documentation, attendance records, and distribute metro cards daily
- Attend mandatory meetings and trainings offered by STRIVE
- Act as an example of professionalism to participants by dressing appropriately, and always starting on time
- Convey relevant information about the program to the participants, funders, visitors, and STRIVE staff
- Provides one-on-one support to participants to address their motivation, emotional stability and job readiness skills
- Complete other tasks as assigned or needed
- Ability to interact positively with a variety of personalities and socioeconomic populations and to maintain confidentiality
- Knowledge of the local labor market and employer requirements
- Must possess a BA or BS in Social Work, Education, Psychology or related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in job readiness or workforce development required.
- Must be computer literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must have a high energy level with excellent administrative, communication, interpersonal, and, presentation skills.
- Must be flexible and able to assess the needs of the client, and have the ability to keep calm during stressful situations.
Forward resume and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected]
Job Title: Employment Specialist
Reports To: Coordinator, Business Development Unit
STRIVE International is seeking an Employment Specialist to assist graduates in obtaining employment. This position will provide a diverse range of direct career services such as resume writing assistance, mock interviews and facilitating career development workshops.
New Business Development
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Cold call as appropriate within targeted market or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Set up meetings between client decision makers and company’s practice leaders/Principals.
- Work with team to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Establish and maintain a portfolio of employers to provide jobs and internship opportunities to Responsible Fatherhood graduates, target advancement opportunities; and employer contributions.
Business Client Growth & Retention
- Present new organizational initiatives and services to enhance existing business client relationships.
- Work with and leverage lateral support staff to coordinate recruitment events in order to meet business and client needs/demands.
- Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the team.
- Submit weekly progress reports and ensure data is accurate.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM or other sales management system.
- Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the target industries.
Group Facilitation and Career Coaching
- Design and implement outreach strategies to promote job development services to alumni.
- Monitor and maintain internal workshop/certification funnels in order to place graduates into industry specific employment or career advancement opportunities.
- Advise students individually and in class presentations regarding resume writing, interviewing and job search skills.
- Develop promotional materials and strategies for the career counseling program.
- Conduct employer – driven on-site hiring events and/or industry specific career fairs.
- Bachelor’s Degree and demonstrated in health care recruitment preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience in sales, recruitment or Job Development required
- Experience or desire to work with diverse populations in low-income neighborhoods
- Experience creating and sustaining relationships with employers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Forward resume and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected]
Job Title: East Harlem Talent Network Community Partner Communications Associate
Reports To: Director, East Harlem Talent Network
Position Summary: The East Harlem Talent Network (EHTN) is a pioneering workforce development initiative aimed at increasing the number of East Harlem residents working for local employers. EHTN works to create a more streamlined path to employment for local residents by partnering with social service programs and facilitating the vetting, recruitment and job matching process for local employers.
Under the Supervision of the Director, the Community Partner Communications Associate is responsible for partnering, managing social media and collaborating with local agencies to direct qualified candidates to the talent network and ensure they are screened and referred for jobs and training opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Community Partner Liaison
- Develops partnerships with community based agencies work readiness programs
- Provides capacity building strategy with CBO partners and directors
- Collaborate with other ETHN staff to ensure that programs candidates receive high quality and consistent engagement with the EHTN program
- May conduct workshops for capacity building for CBO partners
- Attends job fairs, community events, and community meetings to recruit eligible candidates
Job Seeker Recruitment
- Recruits, screen and vets interested candidates while at job fairs or community events.
- Plans and executes hiring events in collaboration with employer ad community partners as needed
Marketing and Communication
- Creates and distributes marketing material for CBO partners, job seekers/training seekers, and employers
- Updates website, and social media
- Creates weekly newsletters for candidates and CBO partners
- BA/BS preferred
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in marketing and community relations
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, MadMimi or Mailchimp), with the ability to learn new software.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to travel city-wideExperience in working in the Upper Manhattan community a plus. Must have a working knowledge of computers and good time management skills. Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus but not required. Enjoys public speaking, working in the community and with people. Must be creative, self-starter, outgoing, and tech-savvy.
Please email resumes to [email protected]. Please indicate in the subject line: Community Partner Communications Associate.
STRIVE is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Legal work authorization required.