Careers at STRIVE
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at STRIVE, a culturally diverse non-profit whose mission is to help people acquire the life-changing skills and attitudes needed to overcome challenging circumstances, find sustained employment, and become valuable contributors to their families, their employers, and their communities.
Coordinator, Harlem Talent Center
New York, New York | July 31, 2014
The Harlem Talent Center, an initiative of Hire East Harlem and the East Harlem Community Alliance, is a pioneering workforce development initiative aimed at increasing the number of East Harlem residents working for local employers. The goal of the Harlem talent Center is to create a more streamlined path to employment for unemployed Harlem individuals participating in employment and social service programs by facilitating the vetting, recruitment and job matching process for local employers.
Under the Supervision of STRIVE’s Senior Director of Career Services, the Coordinator is responsible for planning and implementing this new initiative; developing and maintaining partnerships with neighborhood businesses; achieving program deliverables; and reporting outcomes on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis. The Coordinator will supervise a full-time Program Assistant, also to be hired for this initiative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Use a variety of strategies – including canvassing and attending networking events – to develop and maintain on-going relationships with Harlem employers
- Secure job openings from employers and create job listings with descriptions and clear application procedures
- Maintain employer relationships by providing exceptional customer service and recruitment services that help businesses reduce their recruit to hire ratio
- Collaborate with East Harlem nonprofits to fill job orders by referring qualified candidates
- Interview and assess clients’ educational background, employment histories and interests. Place clients in jobs according to their interests and qualifications.
- Assist clients with resume preparation and editing in order to highlight clients strengths, skills and abilities.
- Conduct job readiness workshops, and facilitate weekly job search groups.
- Vet candidates on behalf of employers and refer those who meet the required qualifications
- Host onsite recruitment events for employers seeking multiple hires
- Track outcomes from interview referrals and provide feedback to nonprofits
- Capture data on referrals, hiring and retention in the data management system
- Follow up with placed clients and employers to obtain required verifications and assist with resolving issues when appropriate.
- Monitor activities to ensure contract goals are met.
- Keep records of all employer contacts. Maintain case files. Keep all progress notes up to date. Track required statistics. Produce monthly reports.
- Supervise a full-time Program Assistant and work collaboratively with colleagues at STRIVE and across multiple partner agencies.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as excellent marketing/sales and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Familiarity East Harlem and the broader Harlem community highly desirable.
- Able to work with a multicultural client base; bilingual English-Spanish preferred.
- Prior sales, marketing, employment counseling or job development experience.
- Knowledge of/experience navigating NYC workforce development and social service systems.
- Knowledge of the demand-driven approach to employment services, job development strategies and labor market trends in a range of occupational fields (professional, skilled, semi-skilled and industrial).
- Ability to outreach, network, and market participants and program.
- Ability to motivate participants toward full-time, entry-level employment.
- Ability to motivate placed participants toward the retention of entry-level employment.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office and other widely utilized software applications.
- Familiarity with use of computerized job banks preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
STRIVE considers applicants for all positions without regard to: race; color; religion; gender; national origin; age; sexual orientation; marital or veteran status; the presence of a medical condition, genetic information or handicap, unrelated to performing the tasks of the job; or any other legally protected status.